Since their make-up kiss, Seth and Carmen were inseparable.
And Carmen was already set for the next stage. “My parents are away. You wanna go to my room?”
Who cares about a cat?
But sometimes, things do not go according to plan.
“Carmen? I’m home, are you in?”
– Oh shit… Why did she come back earlier?
– What now? How am I supposed to get out of here?
– Wait, I’ll distract her.
– Oh mom! Thank God you’re home! The cat has disappeared, I’m afraid he might’ve slipped into the water!
– Why would you think that?
– Come with me on the terrace, he clawed at the planks.
“Pretty stupid lie, right?”
“Whatever works, I suppose…”
– See? Over there?
– Sorry hon, I don’t see anything.
Everyone was already in bed when Seth came home.
– You were with Carmen? Is that why you’re coming back so late?
– And so?
– So what?
– Oh come on! Did you do it yet?
– That is none of your business.
“Right, that means no. It’ll come, man, it’ll come. I’m speaking from experience here.”
– I haven’t asked for your opinion, so shut up.
– Geez… What a spoilsport you are.
– Good night, loser.
Keeping two teenagers like Seth and Adrian under check was becoming too much for Martin and Anna. She called her brother Chris and literally yelled at him. “Chris! It’s been two weeks now! I’m not keeping your son one more day! Come and get him right this minute!”
“I know, he says he doesn’t want to see you. But you haven’t even tried to speak to him. Whatever happened, it can’t be solved if you do not face him. So I want you to come immediately.”
– Thanks for coming.
– I didn’t really have a choice, did I?
– Adrian, your father is sitting downstairs and would like to talk to you.
– Don’t wanna see him.
– Yes, that’s what you keep on saying, but you’ll have to give it a try.
– Chris, do you want me to leave?
– Oh, huh… yes, please…
“I want you to stay, aunt Anna.”
– Ok then, I can stay.
– Erm… yeah.
– Oh, and uncle Martin too.
– You’re not going to make it easy for me, aren’t you Adrian?
– Why? Are there things you don’t want them to know? Like secrets?
“Listen… I’ve been thinking about this. And my conclusion is… that I can promise you to reply truthfully to every question you will ask right now.”
– Anything? I can ask anything about my mother for instance?
– Yes. I will tell you all you want to know about her.
“Did you even love each other?”
“Yes, very much.”
The conversation went on for some time. Chris explained how they met, why they fell in love with each other,… how she disappeared before he knew she was pregnant. How he found out he had a son while she was arrested for murder. And then, her sad end. Adrian listened (as Martin and Anna did, with a dumbfounded face), and finally said he needed time to think it through. Anna was a bit shocked and told her brother so.
– I’m sorry, I was afraid nobody would understand.
– No, I mean… Yes, I see. Wow. Just wow.
– Can I leave him with you for some more time?
– S… sure.
– How do you feel, son?
– I’m ok, I guess.
“You have heard your father’s story. What he just did was treating you as an adult. Be proud of that. He’s your only family.”
– Yeah well… I have you as well, right?
– It is not the same as a parent. Ask Seth.
“Yeah, I guess so…”
– How’d it go?
– It was informative. But my head hurts now.
– I heard you’re going to stay some more. What are you, a parasite or what?
– I knew you’d say that, you asshole.