“Risa? Why is your door locked? Are you okay?”
“Yes! It’s nothing, I’ll open it now!”
She gestured to Nathaniel to hide.
“Sorry mom, I… I had a nightmare about a burglar and I felt safer if I locked the door.”
– Oh, is that it? Don’t get so worried honey, you know we have Lucky to protect us. He wanted to stay with you rather than going with Sandy after all.
– Oh you know… He’s old now.
Satisfied, Ruby went back downstairs.
– Is… is it ok?
– I feel a bit sorry for her. I didn’t know I could lie so easily!
“You have a bad influence on me.”
“Don’t say that…”
– I have to go now.
– I’ll clear the way for you.
And so Nathaniel headed back into town.
His father was his usual old self.
– You’re late.
– I’m sorry. Sen is not here?
– He’s at the hospital.
– He got wounded during the operation because of his weak leg. He’s fine.
Guilt overcame Nathaniel who rushed to the hospital.
Sen was peacefully relaxing on a hospital bed.
– Don’t scream like someone’s dead. You can see I’m ok.
– It’s alright, kid. We taught them a lesson.
– That’s not why I’m worried. My father said you got wounded because of your leg?
– Yeah, the one Zai Jian shot. It’s never been quite the same since. I can’t trust it anymore.
– What about you? Did you get some?
– Wh… I… I wasn’t… ?!
– How was it?
– Stuck all night long with a cute girl, you lucky bastard.
– That is really… not at all the kind of discussion…
– Don’t get all worked up, you liked it right?
– I… really wish you’d stop talking about that…
– Riiight… Help me up, I’ll try and sit.
– I told you we repelled them, but they’ll be back again you know. They’re targeting you.
– That’s fine. I can deal with them.
– Says the one who got caught?
– I won’t make the same mistake twice.
“Listen, they’re disorganized. They’re not very powerful, but at the same time they all act separately which makes the next move very hard to predict.”
– All I’m saying is… be careful.
– I will.