“In our bed? Way to go.”
“I’m sorry, sir!” Carmen hastily said as she gathered her stuff and ran out of the room. Martin didn’t pay attention to her.
– I need a word with you, young man.
– Bunk beds are not comfortable.
“How can you do that, Seth? This is an utter lack of respect! Why can’t you be more grateful for everything we’ve done for you?”
“Yeah, yeah, I know… You repeat it all the time. I’m old enough for sex, ok? We use protection anyway.”
“That’s not my point! Do you have any sense of respect? I’ve been young too, but doing that kind of thing in my parents’ bed…”
“Don’t worry. I’ll soon be off your hands.”
“What you need, Seth, is a purpose in life. As long as you haven’t found that, you’ll continue to mess things up.”
“I mess things up, huh? Fuck all that. There’s no way I’m staying in that dump of a town anyway.”
Seth skipped class most of the time now.
That day, he happened to walk past a garage.
There was a mechanic lovingly examining an old, rusted car. For some reason, the car attracted Seth’ eye.
Then the mechanic saw him. “Hey you… You’re smoking?”
“Here we go again. Yet another preach…”
“This is a gas station, you dumbass! Do you want to blow everything up?!”
– S… Sorry.
– Hm. Put it out, will ya?
– What’s that car?
– It is a 1957 Ferrari 250 GT California. She’s beautiful, isn’t she?
– A tad rusty.
– Are you interested?
– Are you gonna fix it?
– It is way out of your budget, son.
“I can’t even buy a normal car, let alone that one… I know nothing about cars anyway. Forget it.”
“I see. This is a case of love at first sight, huh? Listen, I have a proposition for you. I need a pump attendant for the summer, would you be interested? In your spare time, you could come and help me with that lady, what do you say?”
– Did I tell you I knew nothing about cars?
– I can teach you, no problem.
– You’ll let me have it after I help you?
– Haha, you’re a funny one! We’ll see.
– Ok then…
– I have spare clothes at the back. Go and get changed.
And so, Seth got his first lesson in mechanics.
He was also willing to work for the first time in his life.
– You’ve got such a sour face that I was afraid you wouldn’t be nice to the customers. But I see that it’s ok.
– I can force my character.
“That’s good to hear! Hehe, it’s going to be fun to have you around.”
– That one wants some super unleaded stuff. What’s that?
– Duh. You really don’t know anything, do you?
– Told you.