– Honey! Let’s go if you’re ready.
– And where are you going exactly if you don’t mind me asking?
– Cain, don’t be difficult. You know that Dr. Deville has asked to have Eloise tested.
– Yes, and you also know that I forbade it!
– That again… She’s old enough, it won’t hurt her.
– What kind of mother are you if you allow them to treat your child like a guinea pig?!
– You exaggerate! I would never allow anyone to mistreat her! Stop it now, you’re scaring her!
– Well, I would never allow anyone to even lay a finger on her!
– You’re being over-protective! She’s not even going to school!
– I can take care of her education, thank you very much!
– I went to school like a normal kid! Nobody ever had any problem with me!
– Oh yeah?! You were the school freak! The first time you talked to me, you were raving about ghosts! Have you forgotten that?!
– You’re so mean…
– Anyway… She’s not going. And that’s final.
Eve felt Eloise tugging at her clothes. “Mum… I don’t want to do anything that hurts dad. And going with you hurts him a lot.”
“There… She said so herself. She doesn’t want to go.”
“Stop doing that, dad! You always say hurtful things to mum! And she’s so so sad because of you!”
“You are both the same! I can’t stand it!”
– See what you’ve done? If you hadn’t tried to make her go in the first place…
– I’m tired of your accusations, Cain.
– I know what I have to do.
The next day, Eve woke up from her vampire trance to an empty house. She looked for Eloise, but she was nowhere to be found. Cain usually never took her outside. A foreboding feeling descended upon her.
With good reasons.
– Dad, mum is going to worry.
– She’ll be alright. And you’ll be safe with me.
Eve came to the only person she could trust.
– Eve?… It is quite uncommon.
– Tristan, they’re gone.
“Cain has kidnapped Eloise! I don’t know where they are!”
– Are you quite sure?
– We had that argument yesterday, and he said he knew what he had to do! That must be it!
“Is that so?… Come on in.”
Eve explained what had happened the previous day.
“And you worried yourself to death… Come on, maybe it’s not as serious as you think.”
– And even if it is, I can help you.
– Can you do that? Find them, I mean?
– Of course I can. My network is vast, you know. I will call my contacts.
– Oh, thank you! I hope we find them soon.
The ride had been long and Eloise was exhausted. But Cain felt that they were finally far enough.
“I won’t let them have her. Never.”