“Wait!! Don’t do that!”
“Excuse me?… Oh I’m sorry, I’m alright! I’m coming out now.”
“What… is… THAT?!”
– Did you think I was drowning?
– I, huh… You’re…
– What are those… things… on your back?
– Wings, of course. Can’t you see?
– Well… it’s hard to look at them properly… You’re… naked, you see.
– That seems to be a problem for you.
– Well… YES.
– Alright, let me find my clothes.
While she was getting dressed in some kind of weird plant-like clothing, Ralph Connery looked at her sideways. He was half-expecting her to put down her wings in order to put her clothes on, but they looked perfectly transparent and… real.
She fluttered back to him like a butterfly.
– Is it better now?
– Almost… You still have… wings.
– I cannot do much about that, I’m afraid.
– Are you real? I mean… You’re not human, aren’t you?
– I cannot say. It is forbidden.
– Are you a… fairy?
– … How did you guess?
“Since the secret’s out, there’s no point for me to hide, right? I can become…”
– … tiny like this.
“Then… big again.”
– Oh no! Look up, quick!
“What… what is it?”
– What was that for?
– Fairy magic. I’m supposed to escape while you are not looking.
– You’re still here.
“Yes… I was having fun. I don’t want to go.”
With a sigh, she flew away.
Then turned back at the top of the cliff.
She threw him one last look before going away.
When Ralph woke up in the middle of the night, his first thought was that it had all been a dream. But then he heard some noise coming from the kitchen. “Could it be a burglar?”
But then he found the fairy rummaging through his fridge.
– Do you have ice cream?
– What the…?
– Listen, I don’t know much about your kind, but you fairies don’t seem to have any sense of propriety.
– Why? I said ‘thank you’!
– Why did you come to my house in the first place?
– It is bad, isn’t it? I know I shouldn’t have done that. I’m sorry.
– I’ll leave now. Thanks again for the ice cream.
– Hey, wait… no! I didn’t mean to…
“Damn, she’s fast… Wait, huh… fairy!”
– Why are you following me?
– Huh… I don’t know. I guess I’m curious about you.
– I’m curious about you too.
“But it’s forbidden you know? We cannot have any contacts with humans. That’s our law.”
– It’s up to you, huh… fairy, but…
– Yeah, Gladys. Cute name. Huh, but I saw you by the beach, just like I’m seeing you now. How am I supposed to forget that I met you? It’s already too late.
– That’s right… I’ve already broken the law.
– Hihi. It’s actually very exciting! I never liked that law anyway!
– You know, breaking into someone’s house is forbidden under human law as well.
– If… if I come and see you from time to time, do you promise you won’t tell anyone?
– I promise.
– You’ll answer all of my questions?
– All of them.
From then on, Gladys became a part of Ralph’s life. Because he lived in a remote house and was a loner by essence, he managed to keep her existence a secret.
She was like a child, innocent and sweet. It wasn’t hard to fall in love with her.
– What are you making?
– Spaghetti. Without meat, I know you’re a vegetarian.
– You know, I think it would taste better with ice cream.
– You never get tired, don’t you?…
– Are you comfortable? With your wings and stuff…
– I’ve already told you… I don’t feel them. Besides, I always feel comfortable when you’re around.
As they grew closer to each other…
… trouble lay ahead.
– Gladys, there’s someone up there.
“That’s my Queen…”
“Gladys Moon Evendale… You have broken one of our most sacred laws and compromised our existence.”
– Queen Bee, I…
– Wait… I was the one who convinced her to see me. If you have to punish someone, punish me.
– Oh, you’ll be punished alright!
– Queen Bee! Please!
“There’s no way we will let a human reveal our existence.”
– What did you do to me?!
– Congratulations, you are no longer human.
– What?! Then what am I?
“A werewolf, of course. Your race was made to scare humans and dark creatures out of our woods.”
“Don’t ever again get involved with the fairy people.”
“Ralph, I’m so sorry, there’s nothing I can do… I have to follow her.”
He howled as both fairies flew away.