Seth had banked on the address Nathaniel had given him. He had hesitated only for a while, because he couldn’t figure out yet where this was leading him. But there he was, standing in front of a huge mansion.
“That was to be expected, I s’ppose.”
As he was about to ring the intercom, a voice asked him to state his identity. He was obviously being observed. “Seth. Seth Zay.”
– Who are you asking for?
– Huuh… I don’t know his name. Black hair, posh, looks like daddy’s boy? Kind of nerdy?
– Dunno, maybe? He told me that I could come here.
The front door opened and a middle-aged Asian man came up to meet him.
“Where do you come from exactly?”
– Erm… the suburbs?
– Don’t fuck with me.
– Listen, I don’t know if he’s here but just ask him, ok?
– Nathaniel, you wouldn’t happen to know a so-called Seth Zay by any chance?
– I don’t know anyone who goes by that name.
– There’s some weird guy at the gate claiming that he knows you.
– Why don’t you just get rid of him?
– Because somehow, his face rings a bell, but I can’t remember where I saw him.
“Show me what he looks like.”
“There he is. Do you know him?”
– Let him in.
– You sure? He seems like a random punk.
– Do as I say.
– Told you he knew me!
– Shut up and empty your pockets.
“Get in there. And don’t try anything funny.”
– I’ll be watching.
– Yeah yeah, I got it.
– Phew… They don’t joke around with security here. What are you, a king or something?
– Sorry about that.
– So you’re back in town?
– Well… yeah. And I need a job.
– Is that what you want from me, a job?
– That’s what you said. That you were indebted to me and that you could give me a job if I came to see you.
– It very much depends on what you want to do.
– Oh, anything. I’m not picky.
– Then we might find something for you.
– Ok, but who are you exactly?
– Ever heard about mafia?
– Se… seriously though?
– Do I look like I’m joking?
– Right. You’re not exactly the joking type.
“So? What’s your answer?”
– Yeah, yeah… whatever. Better be on your side, I guess.
– Ok, that’s settled then.
– Geez, you really don’t look like someone from the mob. You must have deceived more than one…
– You’ll take your orders from Sen.
– The Chinese guy?
– Heh. Just try telling him he’s Chinese and you’ll see what happens.