A little girl added to the Golzine mansion.
– Congratulations Ivy, she’s perfect. Have you decided on a name?
– Yes. She is Sam.
– A boy’s name?
– You don’t like it?
– Oh yes! It’s cute but…
– … it’s cute but I wish you’d discuss it with me before, you know? Why not give her a normal girl’s name?
– Oh come on, Nate… Just because you’re the father, you think you have your say?
– I remind you that this little babe here is your heiress. I thought it might be a bit safer that she’s not immediately identified as a girl. At least in her name.
– If she’s anything like you, I really don’t think her name will matter much as far as self-assertion is concerned…
– I won’t change my mind, so too bad for you if you don’t like it.
– Oh I like it, don’t be mistaken.
– Then prove it: it’s time for Sammy’s bottle.
– So it’s Sammy now? You’re not afraid of an identity crisis?
– Shut up and work.
– Seriously though… What’s that about ‘not being immediately identified as a girl’? Where does that notion come from?
– You don’t know what it’s like to be a girl in that world, Nate. I’d rather stack all the odds in her favor.
– Now who’s being conventional?
– I’m being realistic! As absurd as it might sound to you, it is a man’s world. And most of them have a poor opinion of women, believe me.
– So what, do you intend to raise her as a boy as well?
– You’re bullshitting me.
– Well, yeah. You asked for it.
– You know, she’ll have a boyfriend someday. And she’ll be doing things with him.
– Over my dead body. No boyfriend. That will be my number one rule.
“Don’t worry, I’ll explain how the pill works.”