Penelope was so happy spring was back. That meant she could continue her riding lessons with Marcello. “Hello, where is Marcello? Is he sick today?”
– Marcello? Oh, the guy who was here before you mean?
– Before what?
– Before I took the job as a riding instructor. I’ve started last week. Were you one of his pupils?
– You mean… He’s stopped?
– Yeah, he’s gone back to his family in Appaloosa Plains.
“Hey, what is it? You can continue your lessons with me, no problem.”
“No… no, thanks.”
Penelope couldn’t believe Marcello would have left without telling her. She went to his apartment.
But there was another name on the doorbell.
In the meantime, her sisters Piper and Pippa were on the verge of becoming teenagers.
Growing up, they did not look like each other anymore.
Pippa had become accustomed to the voice coming from the wand under her bed. It didn’t say much besides “Soooon… very soon noooow…” or “Don’t forgeeet about meee…” or other creepy things. But after she aged up, the wand gave her a very clear order: “Take me!” Unable to resist to the call, she unpacked the wand and took in her hand. Nothing happened. “Hey you! Now what?”
“Is there, like a magic word? Abracadabra?”
“Huh, what? What does that mean…?”
“What was that just now?…”
She was still pondering the question in the evening. The experience had left her feeling light-headed and exhausted.
– Hey-ho, up there!
– I knew you’d come, granny.
– Of course you knew.
– Will you explain what’s happening to me because of that stick you gave me?
– The wand has recognized you as its master when you aged up and your magic awoke. That’s all there is.
– Do you also have a wand?
– I do, but I don’t like using it. Just a personal preference.
– Are you a witch?
– That’s how we’re called.
– So am I a witch too?
– You have been designated as my heiress by the Witchcraft Council.
– What does that imply?
– That you will swear an oath of secrecy and start your traineeship with me.
“Sounds like fun!”
– Can I stop going to school?
– No, little fool.
– Oh… Too bad.
– Do we have a deal…? What’s your name again?
– Do we have a deal, Pippa?
– We do. What about the oath of secrecy? What do I have to swear?
“It’s done. You’ve just sealed the pact. From now on, you’ll go mute if you try to speak about this. Until I decide to cancel the charm.”