“I know what you’re gonna say, Jo. Don’t waste your breath.”
“Do you have an answer then? Why didn’t you come to the funeral?”
“It ain’t my belief, that’s all. I don’t need all that ceremonial. And with all due respect, when you end up eaten by worms, you don’t need it either.”
“He raised you, Seth. And he’s my father.”
“I don’t get you! How can you be so impervious? You could at least have shown your face for mum’s sake.”
– So you want me to keep up appearances? Sorry, that’s not my style.
– After all they’ve both done for you, you’d think they’d deserve you to at least come and pay your respect.
“Look, I don’t give a damn what you think about me or what you expected me to do. Funerals are for those who need to say goodbye.”
Having thrown one last, stunned look at his cousin, Johan turned around and left without another word.
– Hey, you sure it’s okay? I think you’ve offended him.
– Never mind. He needs to find a culprit.
– I can’t say I particularly like my father or anything, but if he croaked, even I would go to the funeral.
– Mourning is done for me.
“The dead never come back.”