A timid knock on his door made Nathaniel look up from his work. He had barely opened the door that a small figure silently engulfed herself in his arms. “Hey Sam… ”
– Aren’t you supposed at be studying with your tutor at this time?
– I ran away. I got a letter from mum saying that she’s gone back to her hometown.
– She says I can go and see her anytime. Is that true?
– Of course, love.
– You know… I think I understand. Mum always said that she was so bored.
– Yes, and I never did anything about it. I’m sorry, Sam. It’s my fault if mum has left.
– That’s okay. I like mum, but I prefer being with you.
– You won’t go and see her? She’ll be sad.
– But I will go. I told you I liked her. But you’re not the same.
– Not the same?
“Well… dad, you… you just understand things, you know? Grandpa is very clever, but he doesn’t understand. And mum doesn’t understand either because she doesn’t know grandpa very well.”
– Can I sleep in your bed with you tonight, dad?
– Sure thing. I actually wouldn’t mind a little bit of affection myself.