Mother language: French
Sims traits: Loner, Neat, Brooding, Socially awkward, Dog person, Eco-friendly
Since I started playing the game in 2009, I’ve been inventing stories about my Sims, like many other players. I have written those stories primarily for myself and I started them in French since this is my mother tongue. I then quickly switched to English, with the hope that more people would be able to read me. It was mostly text back then, with a few haphazard screenshots. Let’s just say that I’m not too fond of my beginnings: the storylines were convoluted and I was just filling in for the plotholes the game created (thank you, Story Progression…) .
But knowing each character’s past got me emotionally attached to all of them and I gradually developed more intricate and structured plots.
With time, my style evolved from an equal ratio between text and images, to illustrated dialogues, and finally to full graphic novel.
I’m deeply influenced by manga and Japanese culture in general. Meaning that, in my eyes, it seems more interesting to get the reader to speculate on a character’s motives rather than to explain the characters’ feelings in full text. In order to achieve that, I try to capture the right expression or to choose an interesting angle when I’m shooting pictures. Silences in a conversation can sometimes be more meaningful than words.
I generally try to keep my writing on the realistic side, but I’m well aware that I’m playing a Sims game, so I had also fun using references to the game’s inner workings (like aging up for example), or to challenges like legacies. I don’t follow any particular legacy rules, but I do like the generational aspect as some families have an heir system and I follow most families through their offspring.
I am particularly active on Tumblr, where you will find the regular story updates, but also all kinds of extras!
My Sims story also has its own Youtube channel where I occasionally post character videos.
Rules to Abide By
I’m such a rebel.
Questions from Fluffymao
- Of your sims, who’s your favorite?
In case it wasn’t obvious enough, Nathaniel is my favorite. 🙂 I love a mix between sensitivity and determination with a man. Nathaniel can be both tough and vulnerable.
- What’s the greatest in-game moment you’ve ever witnessed?
Mmh… not too sure how to answer this because there’s not much happening without me controlling everything. The only moment I can remember that caused mayhem during a shooting was when a meteor crashed on the Golzine grounds (I had to move Seth or he was in for). Yu Wong was visiting and she got all singed. 😀
- What’s your favorite game (aside from the Sims)? If not game, substitute show/book/movie/etc.
My all-time favorite will always be Final Fantasy X. I’m also a big fan of the Mario franchise.
- What is a trait you wish you had/didn’t have?
Personally you mean? I wish I had more charisma. Being shy and awkward is okay, but people generally don’t even notice me and it’s tiresome to have to work on every relationship I have.
- You found a black suitcase sitting on your front porch. It’s got $1 million in it. What do you do?
Freak out. I’m too honest to keep it, but I’d regret all my life handing it over to the police.
- What’s your favorite holiday? Why?
Any type of holiday is my favorite holiday. Seriously, not working is the best thing that can happen to me.
- What’s your favorite color? Any particular reason?
Not really, I tend to like all colors but for different purposes. However, I do have a slight preference for orange or purple.
- Any grand plans for the future?
Buying a house! :3 We’ll sell our current apartment and buy a nice little house with a garden and a dog in it.
- Cheddar, mozzarella, or muenster? Naming gouda as the top cheese is also acceptable. 😛
Young gouda is delicious! 😀 My favorite cheese is Reblochon, but mozzarella di buffala almost tops it. I also love fresh goat cheese. On toasted bread or a baguette, yum! Yeah, I’m a cheese buff…
- You have 24 hours to do whatever you please with no repercussions or anyone remembering anything but you. What happens?
Can I combine that with the 1 million dollars suitcase from above?
Questions from caterpilarsims:
- If there was one object available in buy mode from any Sims game that you could own in real life, what would it be?
I’d say a fridge that autofills itself would be pretty cool.
- How much of your Sims stories are based on your real life experiences?
Mmh… It’s not as if I’ve actually lived what my characters lived. But their emotions are drawn from my experiences of course. I’d say it’s more a summary of everything I’ve ever read or seen.
- Do you read a lot of the genre you write?
I have no clue what my genre can be. A mix of fantasy and slice of life drama? It would make sense as I read a lot of both genres.
- If you had to spend a day entertaining one of your characters, who would it be, and what would you do to entertain them?
I’m rather shy, so I’d need a character who can do the talking for me and who wouldn’t be difficult to entertain. Like Jay for example. Emily would also be someone I’d like to meet, she’s so poised and naturally graceful. I can see us going to a museum together.
- If you had to spend a day living as one of your characters, who would it be, and why?
Pippa! She’s very like me, and it would be fun to get to use her magic. Not to mention to be close to a certain hairy wolf-man.
- Do you have any bad writing habits you struggle with?
I rarely plan anything in advance, so sometimes I get stuck and have to find a ridiculous easy way out of a plot I’m getting tired of.
- Quote your favorite passage from your most recent story update.
Argh, you’re making me quote my own crap. Alright… “That sucks.”
Questions from jepensedoncjesims
- What continues to motivate you to share your story with the community?
The fact that I care about my characters. And the fact that some people care about them too.
- What has been the most difficult event to write in your story (any of your stories, it does not have to be the one mentioned above)?
Honestly? Nathaniel and Risa’s break up. I really really wanted to work out a way for them to stay together. Somehow, Ash and Sam now being in a relationship is a display of my pent up frustration. Béranger’s death comes pretty close too, as it was the first time I had to kill a Sim.
- Name a character or a significant moment in your story that was changed because of something that happened either in game or as a result of inspiration (answer this with whatever it means to you)
Quite a lot happened that way at the beginning! That resulted in a lot of cheating in my couples because Sims… Now I rarely let the game interfere with my decisions. But to take a concrete case, Noah is not at all the character he was supposed to be.
- What percentage of time do you spend playing the game versus storytelling, or are they interchangeable?
0% playing the game. 😀 I completely ignore needs, skills or anything game-related. The ratio used to be much higher, but that was a long time ago.
If you accept & want to participate, here are the next steps:
1.) Thank the blogger who nominated you, and link back to their page.
2.) Post the award picture on your blog.
3.) Write a short paragraph about yourself and what your blog means to you.
4.) If you could be any animal, what would it be?
5.) Pick and notify ten nominees.
Here are my replies and nominations, as posted on Tumblr.
How did this happen? How?! Seriously both of you, you are filling my life with rainbows, I’m afraid my heart won’t be able to take it.
Thank you for saying such nice things about my blog… I’m like:
So about me and my blog huh?
It has been quite hard for me to share my story. I really didn’t know what to expect, but I knew that I would be very disappointed with myself if I shared and no one read. That’s what happened at first: I didn’t know anyone in the Sims community and I felt like if you’re not part of the gang, nobody pays you any attention. I had a hard time accepting the fact that it had nothing to do with the quallity of my work. I mean, some people often say that ‘if you do things with your heart, it will pay off someday’ and it seems to me as if those people don’t really understand how the Internet (or life, for that matter) works. My number of followers has always been quite low, and I couldn’t get rid of the idea that I was doing something wrong.
But then… then I began to have some interesting interactions with some people. It built up, gradually. We understand each other, we ask ourselves questions, about storytelling, about characters, about life in general… That somehow erased all the disappointments from before. I don’t need to be a popular Simblr to feel my worth. The simple fact that I enjoy so much interacting with my faithful followers is more than enough. Thank you, all of you, for reading me.
As for an animal… I see myself as quite common. Cuddly, but very cautious. Not trusting easily, and loving to snuggle at home. A bit nervous. A bit naive.
Yup, I’m a rabbit.
Trying not to name people who have already been nominated or people who are no longer active (but it’s hard not to >_<), I nominate in turn @greenplumbboblover (for all the love you’re giving me… thank you), @onewingedraven (because you are incredibly talented and won’t acknowledge it!), @kaleekalo (you will ALWAYS be on those lists, you know that?), @aroundthesims (for all the amazing cc you have created and shared), @thepathofnevermore (your story, characters and style are such an inspiration for me), @roseoakmoonsims (for your kindness and generosity at all times), @treason-and-plot (because you are an incredible story-teller, not to mention you crack me up! xD).
My story has been nominated 4 times for the Libester Award by fantastic people such as noonibean, firstladyofcasterlyrock, valpre and thepathofnevermore! This is more than I could ever have dreamed… Replies here and here (on my Tumblr).
EDIT: Would you believe that I’ve been nominated again, this time by fluffymao? You are too good, thank you so much! Replies here below:
- What is your favorite animal?
BUNNIES!! I mean, what kind of human being are you if you can resist to their peaceful fluffiness?!
- What is something you’re passionate about? Something you really believe in?
BUNNI… ok, no. I believe in imagination. I mean, that’s something no one can steal away from you. And I’ve always been passionate about my stories, no matter how old I was.
- How and when did you first come across the Sims?
I bought The Sims when The Sims 2 came out, so that I could make a good deal. I had heard you could build and furnish your own houses and I loved the concept. But it was still “just a video game”. Years later, I bought The Sims 3… That was a much better setting to build… stories.
- What’s your preferred means of entertainment: books, movies, videogames, television, etc?
The one I use for my own stories: a mixture of pictures and text. Comic books. It gives so much freedom.
- Tea or coffee…or hot cocoa?
I’m not too much into hot beverages, but if I have to choose… I’d get coffee. Black with sugar.
- Favorite food?
Anything that’s fresh and prepared with some consideration for the tasting buds. With herbs. Some spices. Not too salty or sweet. Gratin dauphinois.
- What is a quality you like in a partner?
I have my ideal partner for life, and he’s supportive, caring, faithful, sensitive, intelligent and poised.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I’d love to live in Japan, but to be honest, earthquakes tend to freak me out. With the raise of terrorism in Europe, I’m more and more attracted to quiet places with a lot of nature. I’ve never been there, but Canada or New Zealand do exert a certain appeal on me.
- Can you believe it’s not butter?
No?!… It can’t be!
- When was the last time you played hookey (from work, school…significant others)?
I had to google that one because I didn’t know what it meant. ^^; I’ve never played hookey. I hate having duties, but I take them very seriously. 🙂
- What do you do when you sit down to write? Do you get your mind ready in certain ways?
I go through the screenshots I’ve taken and see if inspiration strikes.
My nominees are :
jepensedoncjesims – For L’indifférent (a video story of the most relaxing kind: great music, complex characters and wonderful scenery), but also Foundling (a Tumblr story which theme is best described by its author as “choosing between following a path designed to carry on a bloodline or going against one’s own fate”)
treason-and-plot – Hilarious and addicting, 5 Years Later tells the story of many urban characters , whose relationships are intertwined. The characters are viciously human. Irony is the author’s second name.
whimsy-pix – Her Sims have unique features and distinct, endearing personalities, simply oozing charisma. The tone is generally light and fun, but some parts of the story are actually real sad ;_;.
lilmisslau – You don’t need many pictures with that talented writer, her text just seems to flow naturally out of her, and takes you with it. My favorite of hers remains Willow Flats, which shows you the darker sides of humanity, but also the comforting warmth of love.
Summerdream by caterpilarsims – One of my favorite writers out there. This one is particularly gripping, with a fantastic cast and jaw-dropping world building. I admire the shots at every new update, especially in a fantasy setting that must be difficult to achieve with the game.
Desperate Sims by Kaleeko – Because it will remain forever my favorite Sims story, the one I go back to make me want to write again. It is that good.
My questions are:
1. List three books you’ve read more than three times.
2. Paper or ebook?
3. You get a brilliant thought/phrase/idea at an inappropriate moment (in the shower, while driving, while drifting off to sleep). What do you do?
4. What one thing would tell you that you’d ‘made it’ as a writer?
5. What book do you wish you could have written?
6. How important are names to you in your story? Do you choose the names based on liking the way it sounds or the meaning?
7. How much of your family and/or closest real life friends read your stuff… let alone give you feedback about it?
8. Who is your least favorite character from your story and why?
9. Any fun fact about your story, or the Sims game in general?
10. Is there a theme or a general message in your writings/story?
11. Spoiler warning! If you wish to do so, share with us one big spoiler. 🙂
It can be under ‘read more’.